I did, however, read Through the Looking Glass, and continued to be boggled by it. Several of my friends love Lewis Carroll, but I've never been that big a fan. It's part of the reason that I don't often some postmodern works as well--I don't do well with nonsensical. That said, there are some definite gems: "The Walrus and the Carpenter," and Alice's conversation about words with Humpty Dumpty are two.
I also read a chapter or two of Bleak House. I'm about two-thirds of the way through it (which means I still have probably 300 pages to go) and have been since May. The Boy always maintains that Dickens was a hack, and I usually argue that while yes, Dickens was a hack, so am I, and besides Dickens was at least a good hack. I don't particularly enjoy Great Expectations or Hard Times, but I love A Christmas Carol (who doesn't?) and A Tale of Two Cities has some of the most brilliant lines in English literature.
Bleak House? Well, okay, dear. I admit it. Dickens is a hack, and not always a good one.
I also started rereading Jim Butcher's Storm Front this weekend, partly because The Boy has read them all more recently than I have and keeps bringing up stuff that I forget. Very much struck by the difference between the writing of Storm Front, the first Dresden book, and Changes, the twelfth and most recent. Since the Dresden Files are written in first person, the changes are all in Harry's voice--and over twelve books, he's gotten a lot wiser, a little bit darker, little wearier, and a whole lot more determined to do what it takes to protect the people he loves.
Plans for today include:
- Finish Comp/Rhet paper. This is non-negotiable, as it's due tomorrow at noon.
- Write paragraph for the college of graduate studies outlining my summer research. Also non-negotiable, as it's due...today? $*@&#
- Go to library and return carrel key. Also non-negotiable, as they will blister my ass if I don't get it back.
- Office Depot. Need printer cartridge, necessary for finishing paper, as I need to print it out to proof it.
- Publix. I need food. Also non-negotiable, because I am sick and tired of eating pasta.