Sunday, January 25, 2015

Back to work....

Among a myriad of important things that happened this week, school started back Tuesday.  (Monday was MLK Day, so the college was closed.)  This means that I've only seen three of my classes once, but I'm looking forward to getting to know them better this week.

That said, I've seen my 1301 classes twice now, and they're really wonderful and on the ball, and doing a fantastic job.  They made me really happy on Thursday, and I can definitely tell that I've got a group of hard-workers who are on the ball.

In some cases, spring semester seems easier.  Most of the students have at least a semester under the belt, and so they're a little more cognizant of what they need to do.  That said, the idea that spring is easier is one of those old teacher's tales and not always true.

My 1302 class is themed around food.  I'm enjoying this idea very much.  Even though I've only seen the class once, I'm already having fun with it.  I read a lot of news each day, so I've been collecting links here and there to stories about food.  What I'm going to do with all of them, I have no idea, but at the very least, it'll be nice to put together a little compendium of links that students can explore for ideas for their research.

I'm looking forward to teaching my British Lit I class tomorrow morning as well, as we will start delving into Beowulf.  (Yes, Mom, I can hear you groaning over it 1200 miles away.)  Our first class started with going over the syllabus and an overview of how English became English.

Speaking of the syllabus, I gave a syllabus quiz to my 1301 students on Thursday, and my 1302 students will get one tomorrow.  The first question on the quiz is "What's my name?"

You will not believe how many people get that wrong.

Dear Husband made a suggestion about bringing my papasan chair to my office.  I think it might be one of the best suggestions he's ever had, and I can't wait to actually bring it.  Someplace comfortable to sit and grade!  I might bring an afghan too, as it can get rather chilly in my office sometimes.  Not this week, though.  I had to let my 1301 classes go early Thursday because it was 85 degrees in the classrooms and just really unbearable.  Dr. Dave used to say that the mind cannot absorb what the rear cannot endure, but I think the statement holds true for heat as well.

Part of the reason that the heat has been on at school had been because it's been cold--or at least, what passes for cold in South Texas.  Home got several inches of snow, and in the meantime, I turned the air conditioner back on in our house yesterday, as things are starting to warm up down here.  The English building is a bit like Peck Hall (or like any non-new building at EKU), and changing the temperature can be a problem.  Like so many other places, the key seems to be layers.  Also, I'm seriously considering just stuffing a T-shirt into my bag that I can wear between classes.

DH actually had Saturday off for the first time in a really long time this weekend, which was very pleasant.  Instead of working at work, he worked his butt off here at home, doing dishes and laundry and yardwork and cleaning out the car.  I've not felt well, so I've not been much help, but he's been busy and productive and generally all around wonderful the way he usually is.  He and I spent part of yesterday afternoon watching the first week of the League of Legends Championship Series spring split yesterday, and watched the final game this evening.  He may have spent some time shouting during the last game at TSM.

This week has been a great week.  Here's hoping for another fantastic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment