Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 2.2 - Guuuuuuuh.

I have not been sleeping well, for a variety of reasons, but last night it had to do partly with a couple of drunk-ass idiots who were celebrating the Pats win at 3:00 am outside our house.  It also had to do with the gale that came through last night, which was whistling badly past the house.

I'm still mad about the game (cheaters should never win), but not nearly as mad as I was about the commercials.  Dear Nationwide: if I had been in the market for new insurance, a commercial about child death would not incline me in your direction!  Furthermore, if I'd had Nationwide, I'd be looking for a new insurance company.  How on earth did that get approved?

In this week's news, the doc put me on new medication--thyroid medication.  It's not very far off normal, but enough that I am now taking Synthroid every day, just like my daddy.

I've selected my class for this summer.  I was hoping for a full load, but by the time I got there, there was only one class left.  (I am incredibly grateful to some of my colleagues, esp. KL for leaving me at least the one class!)  So I'll be teaching Mexican-American lit this summer, which gives me a little bit of pause, as I've never taught it before, but I will gather syllabi from others and get a good look at what they're doing and go from there.  I think it will be a class where I learn as much from my students as they learn from me--if not more.

That said, I've got some good classes this semester.  They're with it and working hard so far.  My Brit Lit class had some fantastic discussions about Beowulf last week (hush, Mom, I know you hate it).  I was really thrilled.

That said, some people should really learn not to argue with me about syllabus policies.  They're set out at the beginning of the semester, they're there in the syllabus, which everyone has access to, and if you don't like it, feel free to drop the class.  (Can you tell that my patience is wearing thin?)

In the meantime, I've got to drum up some enthusiasm--or at least motivation--to keep working.  I've got things to do today, and honestly, I don't want to do any of them, but the show must go on.  Dear Husband and I drove in separately today so I can go pay rent when I get off work.

We got the final (I hope) bill from the hospital for DH's trip to the ER over Thanksgiving.  $300 for a 'supervising' doctor he never saw (and that's what we're paying for it, not the entire amount).  Fortunately, this month, DH came off my insurance and went on his own, which means there was an extra $300 in my paycheck.  This has also been a blessing because I'm not entirely unconvinced that we're not going to have to buy a new washing machine before too much longer.

But the week was fairly uneventful, all told.  Uneventful works for me, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment