Monday, December 1, 2014

Week 15: Thanksgiving, Advent...and Bear Fighting (?)

So this is a bit late, if you don't count my Thanksgiving post.  I was going to, but then the rest of our holiday became so eventful that I just had to update again today. You see, I wrote my last post Thanksgiving Day morning.  There was still quite a bit of the day left to go.  (No, these kinds of sentences never bode well.)

You see, Dear Husband and I spent part of Thanksgiving Day afternoon in the emergency room to get stitches in his hand.  Why, you ask?  Well, that depends on who you ask.  If you ask DH, he was fighting a bear.  Two bears, actually, and because he was so busy with Mama and Papa Bear, he didn't think about Baby Bear, and Baby Bear came up and clawed his hand, causing a deep laceration in his left index finger.

If you ask me, I'll tell you that DH was trying to carefully separate a plastic model of a Ferengi Marauder from its plastic holder thingy with a utility knife and missed the plastic and got his hand instead.  (The supreme irony of this was that DH was wearing a day-glo yellow shirt that loudly proclaimed "THINK SAFETY" across the back.)

In any case, I dressed it up for him, and out we went to the Bay Area Medical Center, where we were in and out in an hour and a half!  It was the fastest I've ever been through an ER before.  Fortunately, the cut was not too deep and didn't hit any tendons, but it was deep enough that he needed stitches.  If it had been on the back of his hand, they would have just glued it up, but since it was on his finger, it needed stitches.  We took the splint off yesterday morning.  He's on antibiotics right now too, given the last time he hurt his finger and got it so horribly infected, but we should be able to take the stitches out in a week and a half, which I'll do very carefully.  (I asked him why he couldn't have held on a couple of days so we could have arranged to be back home when they needed to come out, and we could have asked my Sainted Aunt Donna to do it.  But I've taken stitches out of people before and I can do it again.)

We came home from the hospital to find Ale-8 spilled on the couch and floor....and no clue where it came from.  While we were investigating this, a piece of the kitchen counter suddenly fell off.  O-F-F off, fell off.

I have become convinced that we have a poltergeist.  They exist, right?

But we had much to be grateful for Thursday night.  His injury was not bad, we have insurance to handle it and the ER got us in and out in record time.  I think DH is also grateful because this absolves him of the responsibility to do dishes until his stitches come out as well.  I might be a little less than thankful for that, but I will live.

Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent.  I love the Advent season.  The altar is done up in purple to herald the coming of the King, and it's a season of anticipation.  Our new Sunday School class is called "Christmas is not Your Birthday," and while it's not yet as interesting as the class on the prayer book that just ended, it is driving home some of the same points: particularly that God is not Santa Claus (or a magician or a genie), and that claim and gain theology is not helpful to anyone.

The last day of class is Wednesday (thank goodness!) and finals start on Thursday.  I am so ready for things to be done!  Vacation always goes by way too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment